Monday, November 10, 2008

He was the "master"




Names and labels. We use them all the time in every facet of our lives. In most uses they simplify our lives and are harmless means of expressing thoughts and ideas. Of course some are born of ignorance and prejudice. Fortunetly we evolve and mature and realize that such expressions as retarded, midget, and bald are not just politically incorrect but inappropriate. OK maybe not the last one but you probably get my point.
Maui was with me for all but the last two years of his long life. Of all my dogs he was with me the longest and went through many of my major life changing events. As I reflected on him in the days following his passing the notion of pet/owner or dog/"master" popped into my head and I immediately felt a knot in my stomach. I never felt or thought of myself as his "master." If anything it was he that was mine. In almost every emotional trait and quality of character one could list that a man and an animal could possess he was my superior and my master. And to say he was more human would be an insult to him. He was the Tiger Woods to my Tim Conway playing Dorf in being a friend. His heart and strength were truly immeasurable. No matter his own suffering he was always there for you, always ready to give all of himself even if he had a Pig Ear treat in his mouth!
So no labels, no names, and no comparisons to his far more imperfect human friend. Good-Bye Maui and thanks for showing us the way... (Posted by Jeff)

4 comments:

Mandy said...

Hey you guys, I was sad to hear Maui had passed away. I have never before felt that way about a dog, until now. We have only had Skoshi a few months, and I am so attached to him. The day he dies will be a sad one. That was a good post!!
I was thinking about Christmas cards not too long ago, and realized I need your address. So will you email it to me? d.m.quittner@gmail.com. Thanks so much. Have a great day!!

Happy-Hardings said...

that's hard, atleast maui is in a better place, pig ears everywhere.

Jessica said...

Hey you!
How are you doing? I hope amazing! I was wondering if you could do me a big favor, I am sending out out christmas cards early this year and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sending me yours and anyone in your families ie your mom and dad and sisters addresses. If you don't know them don't sweat it, I hope I get to see you guys this holiday season. Love jess

Jessica said...

Hey you the bella address would be great! thanks sooo much! Jess

Our Men in Black (and Plaid)

Our Men in Black (and Plaid)
Jeff took the two older boys to buy suit pants while I was in Idaho. Here is the results.Cute! Ammon has been wanting a suit for a while since his Baptism is coming up. Guess we are half way there now!